1) Every single morning/night, I washed any trace of makeup off of my face using my Clarisonic
(God I love this thing), or an exfoliator. Two of my favorite exfoliators was Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser or Kate Summerville's Exfolikate which contained tea tree oil. But I'm sure you can get less expensive options. Those are just what I used.
2) I began taking Zinc Capsules and fish oils. My favorite was Barleans Pina Colada Fish Oil. Man this taste good. (First time, I've ever looked forward to taking fish oils). Now, I recently ordered, Barleans Mango Peach. Sounds Yum. Anyway, if you are wondering, why I used Zinc, and fish oils, because both are powerful anti inflammatory pills. Also, I drink coffee, and zinc is depleted in your body when you drink caffeine. Here are some reviews from people who have used zinc to help/cure their stubborn acne http://www.acne.org/zinc-reviews/200/page1.html
and here are the reviews on people who used fish oil http://www.acne.org/fish-oil-reviews/402/page1.html
3) I made sure I never ever missed a morning smoothie. Loaded with vegetables and fruits that benefit the skin, it was a must for me. Before I wouldn't drink my smoothie on the weekends because I wanted to eat brunch out (NYC has the best brunch on Sat and Sunday) but nope, I made sure to drink it every single day and just said forget the brunch.
4) I did not stress over it. STRESS WILL MAKE YOUR ZITS WORST. BELIEVE ME. I"m really lucky that I have a very supportive family. When I would cry about my skin, they would reassure me that I was still beautiful and that this too shall pass. Guess what, it did. I haven't had a cystic zit in months.
5) I also made sure I washed my face brushes constantly. That's really important .
A lot of people think that your skin health is based on what you do topically. That's not true at all. If that was the case, then why are the most effective treatments for skin, pills. Take care of your inside, and your skin will show.
6) Thanks to my reader hypnotic, she reminded me about pillowcases. I wash mine at least twice a week with a non-fragranced cleanser.
Hope this helped.
I will be writing my hyperpigmentation story soon.